Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"Can I Smell Your Head?"

Everyone has their morning routine and most of us don't like to have that disrupted. My 4-year old is no exception to that. But his morning routine happens to be watching me perform my morning routine.

As soon as he hears the water running in the shower, he sneaks into the bathroom and climbs up on the counter next to the sink where he waits for me to be done. He then carries on a conversation with my while I dry off. When I used to use aerosol deodorant (I stopped using it once I figured out that one of the perks of being married is that I can get a date anytime I want and so deodorant was no longer necessary), he would take it and pretend to use it on himself before putting it away for me. He will get the shaving cream out for me while I blow-dry my hair and put it away for me again when I've used it. After I've applied my aftershave, he asks me to wipe what's left on my hands on his cheeks so he can smell good, too. He watches me brush my teeth, comb my hair and bulletproof it with hairspray.

Being spring break, the boys got to stay up a bit later on Sunday night. Because of that, Joe did not hear the shower and missed my whole routine. So as I am finishing up my preparations to leave for work, he wakes up and realizes that I have already done all I need to do in the bathroom. But quality preparation is a high concern in our household and so he asks me, "Dad, did you use your hairspray this morning?"

"Yes, I did," I replied.

"I can't smell it. ...Can I smell your head?"

No comments: