Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Talk

The other day my wife called me and told me that she had "the talk" with our 10 year old son. Somehow the topic of sexual harassment came up and my wife asked him if he knew what that meant. He replied that he did and when she asked him to elaborate he explained that it was when someone touches you or kisses you in a way that you do not like without their permission.

My wife was impressed with the maturity of his response and decided to take it one step further by stating that the term sexual harassment stems from the word "sex" and she asked him if he knew what that meant. He responded that he did and confidently explained that "sex" is a mathematical term meaning "six" (i.e. sextuplets).

Now if I were having this conversation, my response would have been, "Well, good. As long as you understand that," allowing him to remain in his innocence. But my wife, being the good parent she is, decided it is time he knew the truth and explained how it is possible that 1 + 1 can make 3 in 9 1/2 months.

No comments: