Wednesday, June 25, 2008

When will Hollywood Get Smart?

My wife and I went and saw one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen last weekend.



Yes, we went and saw Steve Carrell's latest - Get Smart. It was downright hilarious! Carrell was his usual great. Anne Hathaway was a knockout. Even Dwayne Johnson (more commonly known as "The Rock") had some hilarious moments. I am generally a conservative laugher. What that means is that I tend to laugh more on the inside than I do on the outside. I don't know why I do it or when I learned it, but it is a habit that was formed years ago that I don't quite know how to change. However, there are times when things strike me just right and I let loose large, gleeful belly laughs that rival the unbridled laughter that my wife is typical for. Get Smart was the right combination of wit and humor to bring it all out!



The unfortunate side of movies such as these is that Hollywood has a tendency to throw in those small, unnecessary scenes that ruin the whole film. One of those is when Carrell's character is struggling to raise the body of a heavyset unconscious man from off a table so as to use his eyes to deactivate the locks on a door that only respond to authorized retina scans. Two guards passing by happened to glance in the room and, from Carrell's position behind the man, it appeared as though they were engaging in homosexual behavior. Now, to the general population, this may be hilarious comedy. But I find it offensive and disgusting and it only detracted from the movie which was otherwise fantastic. If they had left that out and the part where one character blatently gives another character "the finger", I would have been one of the first in line to purchase it on DVD.

So, if any Hollywood big-wigs, actors, screen writers, producers, or anyone of any relation or influence to these people happen to stumble across my blog, please know that good old-fashioned family values are not dead in America and we are starving for great entertainment that we can welcome into our homes without fear of what our children may be exposed to. Please, GET SMART!

No comments: