Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Balancing Dreams and Priorities

[In response to Ray Kinsella's asking him what his dream is...]
Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: Well, you know I... I never got to bat in the major leagues. I would have liked to have had that chance. Just once. To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[When Dr. Graham rejects Ray's offer to go back with him...]
Ray Kinsella: Fifty years ago, for five minutes you came within... y-you came this close. It would KILL some men to get so close to their dream and not touch it. God, they'd consider it a tragedy.
Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: Son, if I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes... now that would have been a tragedy.

Field of Dreams


A lot of people like to relive the "glory days" in their mind. Former athletes remember the big plays and women remember when they had a more enviable figure. But would you really give up all that you have earned through your blood, sweat and toil to go back to those days? As enviable as those days seem sometimes, I know I wouldn't. The things I have now are far better than anything I had back then. I have a loving wife, amazing kids, knowledge and experience, increased faith and a trust in God that I never dreamed of having in my younger years. Like Dr. Graham, if I had only five minutes of that in my life, that would have been a great tragedy.

2 comments:

Mrs. Martin said...

I have to agree, what I have now is much more than what is in the past, and though times were good, they have never been better.

Things and Stuff said...

Some days I think I would go back...
But then I remember Highschool...