Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hero-Worship

Homer: [to John] Dad, I may not be the best, but I come to believe that I got it in me to be somebody in this world. And it's not because I'm so different from you either, it's because I'm the same. I mean, I can be just as hard-headed, and just as tough. I only hope I can be as good a man as you. Sure, Wernher von Braun is a great scientist, but he isn't my hero.


October Sky

Being a parent is never an easy job. It is hard to find the balance between giving your kids wings to fly and making sure they don't try to fly so far and so fast that they crash and burn. We have to give them guidelines and rules and allow them to suffer the consequences of breaking those rules, all the while praying that they don't end up resenting you someday for it. I don't think there is a more gratifying moment for a parent than when their child says that, out of all the incredible people in this world that inspired them to be who they are, their parent is their hero.

I have three little boys and I have to admit that I get a boost of pride when one of them says, every now and then, that they want to grow up to be just like me. Being fully aware of my own faults and fallacies, I usually respond by saying, "Thank you, son, but I hope you are better."

No comments: