Monday, October 27, 2008

Not As Tough As He Thought

My middle son, J2, is our little tough guy. He loves monsters and scary movies at the age of 5, where his 10-year old brother, J1, won't watch them because they give him nightmares.

I was watching The Incredible Hulk with my wife one night (see my previous post) and J2 was in the room with us. All the Hulk-ing out and roaring and smashing didn't even phase him. In fact, he loved it. He thought it was great.

But there was one point in the movie where he was suddenly clutching my leg tightly and whimpering a little bit and there wasn't a monster in sight.

What was happening was that a character in the movie was getting some injections, including one by a large needle that was being inserted quite forcefully into the characters spine. At that point, J2 looked up at me with his pleading blue eyes and said, "I don't want them to stick a needle in my back."

My wife and I did our best to not laugh while we reassured him that nobody was going to stick a needle in his back and that it was only pretend in the movie. I guess our little guy has his limits when it comes to toughness.

No comments: