Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The content didn't do the story justice...

The second film I watched this weekend was with my three boys. We watched Justice League: The New Frontier. It takes place in the 1950's during the "red scare"; a time when super heroes were generally distrusted. Superman and Wonder Woman are given a limited amount of trust, but Batman, the Flash, and all the other heroes are being hunted by the government.

The story is primarily split between J'onn J'onzz (a.k.a. Martian Manhunter), a Martian who is accidentally teleported to earth by a scientist and Hal Jordan, a military pilot who, after spending time in a psychiatric ward as he dealt with the emotional trauma of having killed someone in self defense during the war, is struggling to get a job as a pilot and faces losing his dreams of someday flying in space.

J'onn uses his shapeshifting abilities to pose as detective John Jones where he encounters the Batman. They team up and share information regarding a growing threat known only as "The Centre". J'onn learns of Hal Jordan's classified flight to Mars and attempts to stow away, but is captured by a government operative after he saves the operative's life. Hal's ship suffers mechanical failure and his co-pilot detonates it in the atmosphere with Hal narrowly escaping with his life. Both characters, while frustrated with their lost opportunities, quickly find that they have major roles to play as "The Centre" attacks the East Coast on a mission to eradicate mankind.

This is a very interesting story that is played out using classic-style animation. They do a really good job of playing up the individual challenges and struggles that each hero is facing and how it conflicts with their living normal lives and endangers loved ones. Unfortunately, like many DC Comics made for DVD films of late, it includes graphic scenes that are unsuitable for children, profanity and disturbing images that can kids nightmares.

One of the things I love about watching animated movies is watching them with my kids. My father (who has since changed his ways) would often come in and change the channel during Saturday Morning Cartoons to watch some sports program. I always said I would watch cartoons with my kids and enjoy them. The problem is that these days it seems that more and more cartoons are either pointless and weird (i.e. SpongeBob) or geared primarily towards an adult audience.

I am a huge Superman fan and was thrilled to receive Superman: Doomsday from my brother for a birthday gift. I noticed on the cover of the dvd that it boasted that it was the first animated Superman film with a PG-13 rating. I quickly learned why when it contained such graphic images and profane language that I, as an adult, was uncomfortable. I later sold it at a yard sale (sorry, Taylor) because it isn't something I wanted my kids watching when I wasn't around, nor did I care to watch it myself due to the content. Justice League: The New Frontier indicates that this may very well be a standard (and a low one at that) for all future DC Comics animated dvd movies. I hope, though, that I am wrong in this regard because it is a complete waste of good, quality stories that I would love to see played out.

The one point I really enjoyed of the whole film was the end. No, not because the movie was over but because of the moving illustrations coupled with exerpts from John F. Kennedy's 1960 Democratic National Convention Nomination Acceptance Address. I have included it below:


"...The pioneers gave up their safety, their comfort and sometimes their lives to build our new West. ... They were determined to make the new world strong and free -- an example to the world....

"Some would say that those struggles are all over, that all the horizons have been explored, that all the battles have been won, that there is no longer an American frontier. ...And we stand today on the edge of a New Frontier -- ... the frontier of unknown opportunities and perils....

"... Beyond that frontier are uncharted areas of science and space, unsolved problems of peace and war, unconquered problems of ignorance and prejudice....

"... I'm asking each of you to be pioneers towards that New Frontier. My call is to the young in heart, regardless of age....

"... Can we carry through in an age where we will witness not only new breakthroughs in weapons of destruction, but also a race for mastery of the sky and the rain, the ocean and the tides, the far side of space, and the inside of men's minds?

"... All mankind waits upon our decision. A whole world looks to see what we shall do. And we cannot fail that trust. And we cannot fail to try."

Justice League: The New Frontier


For the full address, click here.





















See my previous review of 21.

No comments: