Thursday, September 4, 2008

When you feel all alone...

[Lindsey talking to Bud as he descends, fearing he may be going into shock...]
Lindsey Brigman: I know how alone you feel... alone in all that cold blackness... but I'm there in the dark with you. Oh Bud you're not alone... Oh, God. You remember that time - you were pretty drunk, you probably don't remember - but the power went out in that little apartment we had on Orange Street? We were staring at that one little candle, and I, I said something really dumb like, that candle was me, and like every one of us is out there alone in the dark in this life... and you just, you just lit up another candle and you put it beside mine and said "No! See, that's me. That's me"... and we stared at the two candles, and then... well, if you remember any of this, I'm sure you remember the next part. But there are two candles in the dark. I'm with you. I'll always be with you Bud, I promise that.

The Abyss
I think this scene struck me and called for me to share due to some recent events in the lives of our friends and acquaintances. There seems to have been a rash of deaths in the lives of the people we care about; a friend's husband, another friend's mother, and, just yesterday, my boss's father. Our hearts ache for them and what they must be feeling. I can only imagine how alone they must suddenly feel when they are suddenly deprived of that close relationship they shared with their loved ones.

I pray fervently for these people that they may find comfort and peace. I pray that they may be reminded that they are never, ever alone. If every last family member, loved one, friend and acquaintance should be taken from this earth in some cataclysmic accident and they, for some reason, were spared, they would still not be alone ... for God is always with them.

For some reason, the scene from The Abyss reminds me of the following song. It has always seemed a very romantic song to me, and perhaps to you as well. Today, just for today, read the lyrics as though God were singing them. And allow them to remind you that you, too, are never alone.


To Make You Feel My Love
By: Garth Brooks

When the rain is blowing in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I would offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

I know you haven't made your mind up yet
But I would never do you wrong
I've known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong

I'd go hungry, I'd go blind for you
I'd go crawling down the aisle for you
There ain't nothing that I wouldn't do
To make you feel my love

The storms are raging on a rolling sea
Down the highway of regret
The winds of change are blowing wild and free
But you ain't seen nothing like me yet

There ain't nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends of the earth for you
Make you happy, make your dreams come true
To make you feel my love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Love ya N