Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Not all pick-up lines are bad...

After that last post, I had to prove that not all pick-up lines are bad. Joe uses one when he talks about calling Kathleen that probably would have worked under better timing....


[Talking about who Kathleen's internet friend could possibly be...]
Joe Fox: [walking] He could be the Zipper Man.
Kathleen Kelly: Who?
Joe Fox: This guy on Amsterdam who repairs zippers. You'll never have to buy new luggage.
Kathleen Kelly: Stop teasing.
Joe Fox: Timing is everything. He waited until you were primed. Until you knew there was no other man you could ever love.
Kathleen Kelly: Yes.
Joe Fox: Sometimes I wonder...
Kathleen Kelly: What? [they stop]
Joe Fox: If I hadn't been FoxBooks and you hadn't been the Shop Around the Corner... and you and I had, just you know, met... Yeah. I would have asked for your phone number and I wouldn't have been able to wait 24 hours before calling and asking, "How about coffee, drinks, dinner, a movie, for as long as we both shall live?"
Kathleen Kelly: Joe.
Joe Fox: And you and I would have never been at war. And the only things we would've fought about would be what video to rent on Saturday night.
Kathleen Kelly: Well, who fights about that?
Joe Fox: Well, some people. Not us.
Kathleen Kelly: We would never.
Joe Fox: ...if only.

You've Got Mail



Lucky for Joe, the person Kathleen was rushing off to meet for the first time was ... Joe.




I do have to share this one little tidbit that I came across while researching pick-up lines. In an article on Forbes.com, Neil Strauss talks of a time when a friend challenged him to try to meet women using a story about dental floss. "Me and my friends were having a big debate, and your answer to this is going to change the rest of our lives," he would begin. "I know we're just at a bar, but me and my friends talk about these things. So, a very important question ... Flossing: before or after you brush?" Half said before; half after, and nearly all entered into a longer conversation.

And that is the key right there: initiating a long conversation. In my experience of meeting and dating women, women much prefer good conversation over being treated like a propective conquest. You can use a line to make them laugh because that is all they are really good for unless the line is really romantic and you already have a relationship with them - otherwise you just come off as desparate and creepy.

So, if you are a single guy, take note - conversation is key. How you start it is up to you.

No comments: